CA3 ($40,933.33 per annum)
||Lady Northcote Recreation Camp,
1273 Glenmore Road, Rowsley via Bacchus Marsh, 3340
• Working in the great outdoors, leading campers on amazing experiences with a variety of outdoor adventure activities
• Work for an organisation that values diversity.
• Great staff benefits like free access to gyms!
As part of the program team, the role involves direct delivery of programming to school and community groups, ensuing learning outcomes are achieved and that risk management procedures are adhered to. The position predominantly involves facilitating the camp programs, liaising with school teachers and group leaders as the "key Leader", risk management and equipment maintenance. As a program leader, you will be multi skilled and capable of undertaking duties in other areas within the camp operations outside the program when required e.g. assist with duties in the areas of light cleaning and maintenance at the changeover of groups. You will be required to undertake the role of "Key Leader" on a weekly basis. This is an important leadership role that involves welcoming, liaising between the camp and the visiting group, ensuring all their needs are met and camp program is coordinated. The position involves undertaking the role of "Weekend Duty Supervisor" one weekend per school term (4 times per year), on a rotating roster with other fulltime and casual staff. Time in lieu is provided following the weekend worked. Most importantly, as part of a small staff team, the Program leader will have a commitment to YMCA values (respect, responsibility, caring and honesty) and act as an excellent role model for children and young people attending camp.
About the Company
YMCA Victoria is a charitable, not-for-profit community organisation that has served the Victorian community for more than 160 years. Together with our partners, we address community needs whilst building strong people, strong families and strong communities. With over 5,000 employees, we deliver programs and services at more than 150 locations every day in settings including camps, student accommodation, community recreation and sporting facilities, swimming pools, early education, schools and kindergartens, youth services and youth justice facilities.
About the Centre
Lady Northcote Recreation Camp is a group accommodation/program venue (camp), located in the Rowsely Valley on the outskirts of Bacchus Marsh, 50 km west of Melbourne. The camp provides a high standard of accommodation, catering and programming opportunities for up to 254 people, all year round.
Our core work is in the delivery of residential outdoor education camping programs to Primary and Secondary School groups during each school term (40 weeks of the year) and providing camping experiences to variety of community, sporting/recreation, family and cultural groups during the school holiday periods and over weekends.
The camp is owned by the State Government, Sport and Recreation Victoria and managed under a 15 year lease by YMCA Victoria that concludes in 2020.
There are four key areas of camp operation, including:
- Maintenance / Cleaning
- Catering services
At the YMCA, we value our people. Working for us means you’ll enjoy great work/life balance and a range of benefits which improve your wellbeing and help you develop as an individual.
About the Role
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Boundless enthusiasm and energy for working with a wide variety of people, mostly young people from varied socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds
- Committed to the YMCA values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility towards camp client groups and fellow work colleagues
- Highly developed verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate initiative and to work unsupervised
- Team – oriented approach to the workplace
- Enjoy a laugh with those around you and appreciation for the working in the great outdoors!!
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in the delivery of outdoor recration programs involving young people in residential camping or journey-based program setting.
- Demonstrated group leadership experience.
- Organisation and planning skills
How to Apply
Please submit: CV/Resume, Cover Letter, Key Selection Criteria
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework.
Visit our website for further information
Working With Children, Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (Completion upon successful applications)
Qualifications and / or Licences
- CPR, Level 2 First Aid,
- Certificate 4 in Outdoor Recreation or equivalent as a minimum Tertiary qualification is required or equivalent.
- Certified High and Low Ropes
- Level 1 Flat Water Canoe or Kayak Award
- Working with Children Check
Manual Drivers license an advantage
How to Apply